May 1, 2017

Gus's Fried Chicken Recipe - Further Experiments with the Recipe




Slurry:
1 cup corn starch
1 1/4 cup buttermilk
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp Kosher salt

Note 1: It needs some more heat and it needs some of the vinegar flavor from Louisiana hot sauce.
Note 2: Added a pinch or two of sugar to the slurry to test out effect of sugar on the recipe. Not recommended. Added a noticeable and not pleasant sweetness.
Note 3: Corn starch creates a thin crunchy candy-like crust. But it needs the cayenne and paprika to add color.

4 comments:

  1. Update - January 2014. I returned to the kitchen and this recipe. I increased the amount of chile powder and did a buttermilk and cornstarch slurry. The result was a very crispy chicken but it still does not have the "heat". I can taste the spice but it just isn't hot enough. Hence, wanting to play around with a hotter chile source than cayenne. Additionally, I wanted to try the water/cornstarch slurry option that was suggested by one of my readers. After doing the basic buttermilk/cornstarch recipe I switched and made up a new batter. The water/cornstarch slurry was much thinner as it didn't have the buttermilk's viscosity to contribute. It was a thinner, smoother batter. It didn't hold its crispness as well and got soft fairly quickly. Again, as noted above, even with extra cayenne, it isn't spicy enough yet. I am thinking I need some chopped chiles as I really don't want to just keep adding Louisiana hot sauce unless someone confirms to me that this will make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can add heat by marinating the chicken for 12-24 hours in a brine with cayenne, then lift chicken pieces and place in the slurry before frying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip. I plan to re-visit my experimentation in 2015 and will give it a try.

      Delete
    2. AnonymousMay 01, 2016

      You might also try ground dry Habanero instead of the Cayenne, but be careful it is several times hotter!!! ....

      From: A Mexican in Australia

      Delete